No. B. 13017/4/2019-LESDE, the 26th October, 2020. In supercession of this Department’s Notification No. B. 16012/4/2017-LE&IT dated 20.06.2019 and in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 18 of the Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996, the Governor of Mizoram is pleased to reconstitute the Mizoram Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board consisting of the following members wifh immediate effect:
1. Minister, LESD & E Deptt. - Chairperson
2. Special Secretary, LESD & E Deptt. - Vice Chairperson
3. Director, LESD & E Deptt. - Member Secretary
4. A person to be nominated by the Central Government - Member
5. Representatives of the State Government
i) Representative of Finance Department - Member
ii) Representative of Law Department - Member
6. Four persons representing Employers of BOCW as per Rule 253
i) Representative of Public Works Department - Member
ii) President, Joint Mizoram Contractor Association - Member
iii) Manager, Lushai Engineer, Ramhlun South - Member
iv) Manager, NorthEast Consultancy Service (NECS), Dawrpui West - Member
7. Five persons representing the BOCW as per Rule 253
i) President, National Trade Union of Mizoram - Member
ii) President, Federation of Mizoram Trade Union - Member
iii) President, Centre of Indian Trade Union Mizoram - Member
iv) President, Mizoram Mistiri Association - Member
v) Pi Vanlalrengpuii, Venghnuai, Aizawl. Mizoram - Member
1. TERMS OF OFFICE:
1) Each member shall hold office for three years or till he/she holds the office of the post and
remains a member of the Trade Union or Organisation he/she represents as the case may be
whichever is earlier.
2) Where the appointment of the successor of any such member has not been notified by the
Government on or before the expiry of the said period of three years, such member shall continue
to hold such office until notified by the Government.
3) The Board shall meet at such time and place and observe such rules or procedure in regards to the
transaction of business at its meeting as may be prescribed and submit report to the State Secretary (Labour)
4 The Chairperson, if, for any reasons, is unable to attend a meeting of the Board, any member
nominated by the Chairperson in this behalf and in the absence of such nomination, any
member elected by the members present from amongst themselves at the meeting, shall
preside over the meeting.
5) Any question which comes up before any meeting of the Board shall be decided by a majority of
votes of the members present by voting, and in the event of equality of votes, the Chairperson or
in his/her absence, the person presiding, shall have a second or casting vote.
6) The Board will comply with the instructions/orders/circulars issued by the Govt. of Mizoram
from time to time with regard to personnel, financial and other matters.
2. FUNCTIONS OF THE BOARD:
1) The Board maya)
provide immediate assistance to a beneficiary in case of accident;
b) make payment of pension to the beneficiaries who have completed the age of sixty years;
c) sanction loans and advances to a beneficiary for construction of house, not exceeding such
amounts and on such term and conditions as may be prescribed;
d) pay such amount in connection with premia for Group Insurance Scheme of the beneficiaries
as it may deem fit;
e) give such financial assistance for the education of children of the beneficiaries as may be
f) meet such medical expenses for treatment of major ailments of a beneficiary or such
dependent, as may be prescribed;
g) make payment of maternity benefit to the female beneficiaries;
h) make provision and improvement of such other welfare measures and facilities as may be
i) take all necessary action to comply with the directions and advice of Central Government
with the regard to implementation of Building & Other Construction Workers (RECS) Act,
1996 and Rules frame thereunder and also of the Building & Other Construction Workers
Cess Act, 1996 and Rules framed there under
2) The Board may grant loan or subsidy to a local authority or an employer as may be approved by
the State Government towards welfare of building workers.
3) The Board may also pay grant-in-aid to a local authority or to an employer for the benefit of the
Building workers and their family members, subject to conditions and limit as may be prescribed
by the State Government.
4) The Board may pay sitting allowance to the members present in its meeting and the amount which
may be as prescribed from time to time.
The other terms and conditions of the Mizoram Building and Other Construction Workers Board
shall be prescribed by the Building and Other Construction
Workers (Regulation of Employment
and Conditions of Service) Act, 1996 and Rules made there under.
Dr. Lalzarmawia Chhangte
Spl. Secretary to the Govt. of Mizoram,
Labour, Employment, Skill Dev. & Entrepreneurship Deptt.